CHICHESTER GRANGE HALL
LISTED IN THE NEW HAMPSHIRE STATE REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
The Chichester Heritage Commission and the Town of Chichester have received notification that the Grange Hall has been listed in the NH State Register of Historic Places as of July 19th, 2010. The Greek Revival-style building was constructed in 1889 by a volunteer corporation of members of the grange which was founded in 1888. For over 120 years the building has served the town as a gathering place and community center. Many
early features remain including 6/6 pane double-hung windows, slate roof, interior bead board wainscoting, painted plaster, and pine flooring. Chichester Grange Hall possesses integrity of the original location, unaltered design, setting and workmanship.
In true Yankee tradition, the original stable area was renovated and converted to serve as town office space in the early 1980's. A New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places sign marker will be placed by the building to acknowledge the listing.
Thanks to the Commission members who worked so tirelessly to research, prepare, and submit the inventory application to the NH Division of Historical Resources.
The Heritage Commission is currently gathering information on “old" houses along Main Street for a brochure titled "Historic Main Street". Any interesting history, date of construction, or other pertinent facts would be welcome.
There is currently one member vacancy on the Commission that needs to be filled. For information, talk to a Commission member or call Lucille at 798-5709.